It is well known that I am ready to obey apostolical commands with filial affection, and all devotion and reverence, but to those things which are opposed to apostolical commands I, in my zeal for the honor of my parent, am also opposed… In a filial and obedient spirit I disobey, I refuse, I rebel.
BISHOP GROSSETESTE
This post is in response to this Sensus Fideliun homily:
Can Catholics Reject the Pope? SSPX, Schism & Catholic Unity
I agree with what the priest said regarding the SSPX being in schism along with the sedevacantists and anyone else who goes down that road. For these people, schism is an option. Schismatics are always looking for the exit. They are not looking to remain in the Roman Catholic Church but to find their way out. The reasons for their exit are irrelevant. What they forget is that schism is not an option. Once you have that truth placed firmly in your mind, it clears up a great deal of controversy and confusion.
Where I disagree with the priest is him equating the position of Athanasius Schneider known as "recognize and resist" to be schismatic. I am fully on board with recognizing and resisting. This is not schism. Was Saint Paul in schism when he recognized Peter as the Vicar of Christ but resisted him to the face? Clearly, we have had bad popes, and it is not schism to point out that they were bad popes. To deny they are bad is to do damage to common sense and reason.
This priest is afflicted with hyperpapalism. Like the sedevacantists, he concludes that a pope can never err. For the sedes, this means the erring bishop in white is not truly the Pope. For idiots like this priest, he concludes that the pope never errs, so the error must be in one's personal judgments and observations. This know-nothing papal maximalism is why so many scoff at the idiocy and lack of common sense of certain Catholics.
Folks, when Francis declared the death penalty to be inadmissible, he was wrong. When he worshiped the Pachamama demon, he was wrong. When he opened communion to adulterers, he was wrong. No leap of logic can make him right. When a pope differs from his predecessors and Catholic teaching, he is in error. I don't know how else to put it.
The options put before us are to be either schismatics or shitheads. This is what this shithead priest is preaching in this homily. I reject both of these options. I will continue to remain Roman Catholic and continue to recognize and resist.
********
Can Catholics “Recognize and Resist”?
Archbishop Lefebvre, SSPX & Church Unity | Can Tradition Justify Disobedience?