Charlie's Blog: From Vegan to Carbovore

5.01.2023

From Vegan to Carbovore

Throughout civilization and around the world, six foods have provided our primary fuel: barley, corn, millet, potatoes, rice, and wheat.
JOHN A. MCDOUGALL

I am no longer a vegan. I still adhere to a plant based diet, so I haven't changed what I eat. What has changed is the term "vegan." Back in 2013 when I began this journey, vegan just meant that you didn't eat meat, dairy, and eggs. Then, it grew to include honey because beekeeping traumatizes bees. And you couldn't wear leather products like a belt or shoes. Essentially, being vegan went from being a diet to being a religion. I already have a religion. It does not include the worship of animals.

To make a distinction, there are people who say they are WFPB which stands for "whole food, plant based." That is a mouthful to say. The gist is they adhere to a vegan diet but not a vegan ethos or lifestyle. I decided that I needed a better term, and I have settled on "carbovore" because I follow the basic tenets of The Starch Solution by Dr. John McDougall. As far as I know, I am the first and only person to use this label in this way. I hope it catches on.

The inspiration for the new label comes from carnivores who only eat meat. Now, I eat fruits, vegetables, legumes, and nuts in addition to carbohydrates. I just don't eat meat, dairy, and eggs. McDougall prefers the term "starchivore." I don't find it as catchy as "carbovore."

There are a lot of low carb diets out there--Atkins, Paleo, Keto, and Carnivore. Carbs have been demonized as the cause of everything bad by these low carb idiots. Consequently, I want to champion carbs once more. This is why I am a carbovore.

There is also plenty of idiocy on the vegan side. You have raw food types who end up malnourished and quit their diets to go back to steak and eggs. You can't survive and thrive without cooked foods which means carbohydrates. Most of the world lives on carbohydrates. Carbohydrate is the fuel that built civilization not berries and beef.

Most vegans are left wing Marxists with many being sodomites. They also roll environmentalism into their woke religion. The epitome of their idiocy is that you should be willing to damage your health for the sake of animals and the planet. This is just too stupid for me to accept.

I follow a plant based diet for my health. That's it. If someone pointed out to me empirical data showing that this diet was detrimental to my health, I would drop it and go back to eating meat, dairy, and eggs. I am still waiting for that data. It's not there. Plus, I was in awful shape when I ate that animal crap. Meanwhile, all of my peers who do eat that crap have high blood pressure, type 2 diabetes, coronary artery disease, irritable bowel syndrome, and gastric reflux. I have none of these issues. Why would I want to go back to that?

At the end of the day, I don't care what you eat. Unlike most vegans, I don't push this way of eating on anyone. It isn't religion for me. As for meatheads, I can sit back and watch them suffer needlessly and not say a word. Between vegans and meatheads, I find the meatheads to be more obnoxious. As a carbovore, I avoid the idiocy of both these camps.

Finally, I am not a doctor, dietitian, nutritionist, or health professional. I recommend that you do your own research. I did my own research which is how I came to eat a plant based diet.