The End of Comments

I am done with comments on the C-blog. This is something Leo Babauta did along with getting off Facebook. I never understood why Leo did this, and I used to be very critical of it. But I understand now. I used to allow Wild West commenting with the idea that I didn't really care what people thought or wrote. Yet, the feed for comments is the first thing I check every time I go online. So, I really do care because the bottom line is that I want the attention even if it is to be hated. But now, I don't care.

Becoming Catholic has instilled in me something very solid and unshakable. I just don't care what other people think anymore. In my libertarian/atheist ethos, I thought all opinions had validity and value. But I know better. They don't. This includes my opinions. Ultimately, turning on comments is about as smart as putting a bucket in the middle of your living room, calling it a restroom, and pretending the ensuing stench is not so bad.

For some of you, the end of comments, voting, and the like will be a terrible thing. But I don't care. I really don't. The added bonus of this move is that I don't have to spend my time cleaning off the spam anymore.